Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS) is a safe and effective therapy that has been used for more than 40 years to help people take control of their chronic pain. SCS is the most commonly used implantable neurostimulation technology for the management of pain syndromes—as many as 50,000 neurostimulators are implanted worldwide every year. SCS is a widely accepted FDA-approved medical treatment for chronic pain of the trunk and limbs (back, legs and arms).
Neuromodulation is the newest technology approach being used by Interventional Pain Physicians in helping patients with Chronic pain.
It is used for patients who still have pain :
- After back and neck surgery
- Severe extremity pain called "burning , pins and needles" from Diabetes
- Severe pain from an amputated leg or foot due to Diabetes, trauma, or poor circulation.
This device is now part of many techniques that can be used to help decrease your pain and improve your quality of life.
We work with 3 companies Abbott, Boston Scientific, and Medtronic and we pledge that if you're a candidate for this type of relief, we will certainly work on getting you the right treatment.
This office uses Abbott, Boston Scientific, and Medtronic: click below for more info:
• The numbers may surprise people, but chronic pain affects more than 1.5 billion people worldwide, a number that outpaces heart disease, cancer and diabetes combined. The condition can negatively impact personal relationships, productivity and a patient's daily routine.
• To relieve their pain, many patients will try anything and everything, visiting doctor after doctor seeking pain relief. Opioids often become the treatment of choice. However, by this point, the world is by now acutely aware of the prevalence of opioid abuse in the US.
• That begs the question: are there meaningful alternatives for patients to find effective relief from chronic pain?
• The answer may lie with neurostimulation – a proven and established therapy that consists of small, implantable devices that use electricity to deliver pain relief to transform quality of life for many people who are otherwise unable to find relief from chronic pain.
o In a study of 5,400 patients, spinal cord stimulation (SCS) therapy was shown to reduce or stabilize opioid use in chronic pain patients.
o Abbott's proprietary SCS waveform – known as BurstDR stimulation – has been clinically proven to offer superior pain relief over traditional SCS therapy and is preferred by ~81% of patients.
BurstDR is the first-ever SCS therapy to deliver closely-spaced pulses of electrical energy that mimic the natural neural firing patterns in the brain, and even modulates both the lateral and medial pathways of the brain, unlike traditional tonic waveform SCS therapy which only targets the lateral pathway.
With a more comprehensive approach to treating how the body responds to chronic pain, BurstDR technology has demonstrated superiority over the tonic SCS and been proven to reduce pain in the back by 51 percent, pain in the limbs by 53 percent and general pain by 55 percent compared to tonic stimulation.
Compared to competitor tonic stimulation products, with BurstDR, there have been little-to-no reported paresthesia, or tingling sensations, for patients.
o Abbott's dorsal root ganglion stimulation (DRG therapy), designed to manage difficult-to-treat chronic pain in specific areas of the lower body (e.g. foot, knee, hip, groin), has been shown to deliver statistically significant pain relief over traditional SCS for patients with complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS).